VIDEO ON ANGER FROM BIRTH MOTHER ASHLEY MITCHELL: (password freedom_lhmarch)
GROUP ACTIVITY Video For Freedom!
I filmed something special for this month while I was on my Birthday Cruise on Catalina Island. I talk about the activity in this second video. PASSWORD: Lh_freedomextra
MENTAL HEALTH WORK:
Good mental health is characterized by having personal freedom – to be free to make good choices for one’s self and others. Freedom is going to look different for everyone you encounter. We all have different things that we are attempting to find freedom from. The important thing when it comes to freedom is that you want it for yourself. Seeking freedom because someone else told you to will not bring you freedom that lasts. Freedom has to come from deep within. And, just like with anger, it may come and go. It is okay to have a moment of freedom and then feel like it’s all lost again. Those moments will grow as you work toward a longer lasting, deeper freedom.
A few ways to work toward finding that freedom are:
· Sleep/Rest: The human body needs a chance to rest and repair itself. Sleeping is the only way that our body is given that break to prepare for the next day. For many, in times of struggle, sleep is the first thing to go. It is critical to get regular sleep.
· Spirituality: Finding your higher power (it can be anything: nature, God, Buddha, etc.) is crucial. Finding that higher power for yourself will help you have something to lean into when all else feels lost. This will provide you with the opportunity to have a truth teller in your life and provide a sense of stability and peace when the world around you is whirling.
· Physical Environment: Is the environment around you constantly reminding you of your struggle? If it is, it may be time to change that environment in some way. It may time to let go of the clutter in your home, find a safe space to be in, remove triggering objects, etc.
· Journaling: Writing out how things are affecting you can make a huge difference in the way you face those situations. It allows you to go back and see your progress, what has worked and not worked in the past and allows you to process things in a safe, private space.
· Gratitude: Being thankful for things around you truly changes the chemistry in your brain. When we take a moment each day to honor those things that we are thankful for, it helps us to think more positively. As I go to bed each night, I share with my partner at least 2 things I am thankful for from that day. It doesn’t have to be anything big. And it is totally okay to repeat things multiple times in a row. I started small. I shared that I was thankful for air to breath and hot water to shower in. As time went on and I spent time realizing I was going to have to report each day, it got me thinking more deeply. This would also be something you could write in your journal if you don’t have someone to share it with each day. It’s fun to look back and see the list of things you were thankful for each day if you write it down J
Start a journal. Start small. Just write a couple sentences each day about what happened. Also write at least 2 things you are thankful for that day. As time goes on, you will find yourself writing more and more each day.
Do you believe that freedom is given or earned and why?
List three things that are keeping you from being free and why they are holding you back?
Explain why freedom is important to you?
Message in a Bottle. Have the women write on the parchment (or any paper) all the lies that they tell themselves. Things that they desperately want to let go of…things that they have told themselves for days, weeks, years. Write them down, put them in the bottle and bury them, send them to sea, put them in the garbage (burn it if possible)….it is about releasing the garbage so what is left is truth and healing. If you don’t want to do bottles, do helium balloons. Have them write lies on the balloons and have them all, as a group, set them free. IT IS ABOUT LETTING GO OF THE GARBAGE. It is never about letting go and getting over it…it is about diving into the truth so we can actually heal.